America's Boating Course
An exciting, in-depth boating safety course can be completed locally in one day or taken online which will give you the knowledge needed to obtain:
A boat license
A safety certification in many states
Discounts on boating insurance by many companies for those who successfully complete America's Boating Course.
To register for a local class and for more information - click HERE
Boat and water safety course topics include:
- Introduction to Boating: types of power boats; sailboats; outboards; paddle boats; houseboats; different uses of boats; various power boating engines; jet drives; family boating basics.
- Boating Law: boat registration; boating regulation; hull identification number; required boat safety equipment; operating safely and reporting accidents; protecting the marine environment; Federal boat law; state boating laws; personal watercraft requirements.
- Boat Safety Equipment: personal flotation devices ("life jackets"); fire extinguishers; sound-producing devices; visual-distress signals; dock lines and rope; first aid kit; anchors and anchor lines; other boating safety equipment.
- Safe Boating: bow riding; alcohol and drug abuse; entering, loading, and trimming a boat; fueling portable and permanent tanks; steering with a tiller and a wheel; docking, undocking and mooring; knots; filing a float plan; checking equipment, fuel, weather and tides; using charts; choosing and using an anchor; safe PWC handling; general water safety.
- Navigation: the U.S. Aids to Navigation system; types of buoys and beacons; navigation rules (sometimes referred to as right-of-way rules); avoiding collisions; sound signals; PWC "tunnel vision."
- Boating Problems: hypothermia; boating accidents and rescues; man overboard recovery; capsizing; running aground; river hazards; strainers: emergency radio calls; engine problems; equipment failures; carbon monoxide (CO); other boating and PWC problems.
- Trailering, Storing and Protecting Your Boat: types of trailers; trailer brakes, lights, hitches, tires, and bearings; loading, balancing, and towing (and backing) a trailer; boat launching and retrieving; boat storage and theft protection; launching, retrieving and storing a PWC.
- Hunting and Fishing, Water-skiing and River Boating: carrying hunting gear and weapons in a boat; fishing from a boat; water-skiing safety guidelines and hand signals; water-skiing with a PWC; navigating rivers, and other boating tips.
The interactive America's Boating Course can be taken in any of three ways: on the Internet, by studying a 244-page course manual, or with a CD. No matter how you like to learn, when you sign up you'll receive a complete package that includes the course manual, and a PIN number giving you access to the Internet course.
* Note: not all jurisdictions accept online courses.
Boat Show Special - $85.
Regular price - Non-members $90; Members $45.
Upcoming Events and Educational Opportunities:
March 1 - Virtual Bridge Meeting - Contact Bobby Naylor for zoom log-in information.
March 8 - Membership Meeting - Corner Pub in Mt. Juliet, TN from 1800 to 1830 for social time and 1830 to 2000 for presentation/dinner. Betsy Woods with the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency will be providing a valuable insight to safe boating on our area lakes.
UPCOMING EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES -
March 4 - America's Boating Course (multiple course dates available)
ELECTRICAL SHOCK DROWNING (ESD) BY DIY AC SAFETY TEST FOR BOAT AND DOCK OWNERS. All boat and dock owners must check your AC electrical system for stray current that could cause electrical shock and potential death to swimmers. It could save a life.
SPRING BOATING CHECK LIST - PLEASE REVIEW THIS CHECK LIST AS YOU PREPARE FOR YOUR FIRST LAUNCH.
VESSEL SAFETY CHECKS - America's Boating Club's Vessel Safety Inspectors are eager to inspect your boat anytime during the boating season for FREE. Please request Vessel Safety Inspections via our online request in the Vessel Safety Check tab. A Vessel Safety Inspector will contact you shortly after your request is recieved.
2020 Bridge Leadership
Cmdr Bobby Naylor, AP
Ex Oficio/District 17 Commander -
Ray Alley, AP IN
Squadron Education Officer -
Lt/C Randy Stone, P
Assistant Education Officer -
1st Lt Art Chapman, P
Lt/C Barry Cleveland, AP
Lt/C Jane Malatack, AP
Education Officer -
Lt/C Randy Stone, AP
Education Officer Assistant -
Lt/C Art Chapman, AP
Lt/C Jane Malatak, P